Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Stair Remodel

The "before". Perfectly good, right? Well, not for long.

First, we removed the carpet, and then the handrail and drywall.


Here is what it looked like with no drywall.


Then the removal of the framing (that was fun) and the treads and risers. Please note the little children playing all around the worksite.




I ruined the bottom step of the stringer when trying to get the tread off. After despairing for a while, I patched it with plywood.



Then, installation of the custom newel posts I'd build out of cherry




I'm particularly proud of the newel at the top of the stairs. I had attached the anchor post slightly off-square, but wanted the column to be perfectly square. So I attached some spacers to the four corners of the anchor post. That's the light wood you see in the picture. The spacers rotated the newel slightly so that it became perfectly square. Cool!



Next, we installed the trim board against the wall, a surprisingly difficult task.



More to come!